Aromatherapy massage is massage therapy but with highly concentrated plant oils, called essential oils, added to the massage oil or lotion. Essential oils are also believed to be absorbed through the skin.
Each essential oil has different healing properties. For example, some calm while others energize.
Here are some widely used essential oils and their properties:
• calming – chamomile, lavender, geranium
• uplifting – ylang ylang, clary sage, rose, neroli
• energizing – rosemary
• cleansing – rosemary
• decongesting – eucalyptus, pine, tea tree
Aromatherapy massage is particularly suited to conditions involving stress or improving emotionally-related conditions.
• Stress and stress-related conditions such as insomnia
• Digestive disorders
• Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
• Back pain
Aromatherapy Recipe for Relaxing Massage:
2 drops geranium oil
2 drops rose oil
2 drops lavender oil in 20 ml carrier oil. Can be used effectively as a face and scalp massage. Relieves anxiety.
Aromatherapy Recipe for All-Purpose Face and Neck Massage:
3 drops violet oil
2 drops rose oil in 20 ml of carrier oil. Add vitamin E for extra richness.
The benefits of massage are rewarding for your body and also your health. It improves health by acting directly on the bodies muscular, nervous, circulatory and immune systems.
Massage is also said to improve beauty and fitness.
Massage therapy is aimed to:
• develop and maintain your physical function.
• Relax tense muscles.
• Relieve or prevent physical dysfunction and pain.
• Improve circulation and immune system functionality.
• Reduce stress.
• Relax the mind
• Improve blood flow
• Increase overall feeling of well-being