Healthy hair is defined by thick, shiny and bouncing hair without split ends. When most of the feature is accomplished the last one is always at a risk due to one or the other reasons.
Hair split ends happens when the hair's protective cuticle is stripped away from the ends of hair fibers. It happens when the natural oils from the scalp fail to reach the ends or when cortex loses moisture and the hair begins to unravel like a rope.
The most reasons are:
- Dry scalp
- Exposure to extreme temperature and chemical products like relaxers and hair colour.
- Lack of nourishment.
- Excessive dying
- Vigorous brushing and backcombing. Use of metallic combs and brushes
- Brushing hair when it is still wet.
- Use of uncovered elastic bands on the hair.
- Use of satin pillows.
- Repeated use of heated appliances like iron or hair blow dryers
Once the hair is split the only cure is to trim. Trim your hair with the help of these guidelines.
- Sit near a natural light source may be near the window or outdoors in the yard to see the split ends properly.
- Take a small section of hair and twist them in a downward motion. This will make the split ends to stick out automatically.
- Use a sharp scissor to snip off the split ends. Make sure you cut the damaged cuticles only. This will also enhance a natural layered effect with a thick bounce.
- It will take at least 45 minutes to go all around the head. Do it every six weeks lest the splits will travel up the hair and worsen the damage.
Get Rid Of Split Ends
- An effective remedy for split ends is trimming. Trim your hair regularly, say, about two to three centimeters from the tip. This can prevent the occurrence of split ends. To do this at home, take a small section of your hair and then gently twist it in a downward motion. The split ends will stick out by doing this. Locate the split ends, sticking out of the twisted hair, and trim them off, using a sharp pair of scissors.
- To keep your hair healthy and prevent the occurrence of split ends, you should wash your hair regularly and condition it well.
- Always wash your hair from the root to the tip, in case of very dry and brittle hair. Since the tips of the hair strands are deprived of the protective layer of cuticle, doing this will ensure that, your hair doesn't split anymore.
- While conditioning your hair, apply the conditioner in your hair, from the root to tip, and cover your head with a shower cap, with all your hair inside it. Now, place a towel, dampened with lukewarm water, on the top of the cap. Leave it there for about 10 minutes. Remove the cap and rinse your hair thoroughly, with cold water. The treatment is a surefire way to get rid of split ends. This will help you to get rid of the split ends, if you do it once a week on a regular basis.
- In case your hair is extremely dry, apply a shampoo that contains moisturizing cream in it. This will moisten your dry hair as well as prevent split ends.
- Give regular lukewarm oil massages to your hair, to prevent split ends. While massaging, make sure that you apply the oil from the root to tip of your hair. You may choose coconut oil, almond oil or olive oil for the purpose.
- Vigorous brushing or combing of hair can cause split ends. This is because harsh treatment of the hair may remove the protective cuticle layer from the strands. Hence, use a wide-toothed comb, to detangle your hair. Always brush/comb your hair gently.
- Always brush your hair when it is dry. Brushing wet hair will not only lead to hair loss, but also remove the cuticle from the strands. Using a soft-bristled brush, comb you hair down from the crown to the tip of your strands, in a gently manner.